If you’ve been looking at your outdated kitchen and longing for something better, you’ve probably considered a kitchen remodel. You wonder if a kitchen renovation is worthwhile. “What are the advantages of kitchen renovations?” you ask.
7 Ways Kitchen Renovation Can Improve Your Life
There are many benefits of a kitchen renovation beyond the obvious aesthetic appeal. Here are 7 ways a kitchen renovation can improve your life:
1. Improve the Functionality of Your Kitchen
Renovating your kitchen can make it more functional for you and your family. Improved functionality makes cooking easier and more enjoyable. Some common ways to do this include:
- Extend existing cabinetry for more storage and/or countertop space
- Upgrade (and possibly relocate) appliances
- Redesign the layout to accommodate an island or a U- or L-shaped kitchen
- Replace your countertops with a more durable surface that can withstand hot pots and sharp knives
- Change lighting fixtures for a brighter workspace
Increased functionality in your kitchen helps you be more efficient and enjoy working in the space. It can also make entertaining easier and more enjoyable.
2. Create More Space in Your Kitchen
Adequate space makes a kitchen easier to work in and more comfortable to be in. Even if your current kitchen has sufficient space, you may need to renovate to improve your use of that space. A remodeled kitchen can create more storage or countertop space or alter the layout of the space to make it easier to use and organize.
Some ways a renovation can create more space in your kitchen include:
- A new layout to maximize wall space, work surfaces, and storage
- Remove a wall to make the space feel bigger and allow for an island or eating bar
- Add a pantry
- Install extra shelving
- Increase countertop space
- Increase cupboard space and make cupboards more accessible
- Take advantage of “empty” space such as extending cabinets to the ceiling
When your kitchen has enough space to store everything you need and enough space in which to work, cooking is simpler.
3. Increase the Value of Your Home
A kitchen remodel increases the value of your home. In many cases, a kitchen renovation will produce the highest return on investment over any other part of your house. The average return on a kitchen renovation is 75-90%, according to HarrisonBowker Valuation Group.
Especially if you’re planning to sell your house within the next several years, a kitchen renovation could be a worthwhile investment. Newly renovated kitchens attract homebuyers: 58% of homebuyers say their preferred style of kitchen was extremely or very important to their home-buying decision.
4. Reduce the Energy Costs of Your Kitchen
Who doesn’t like to save money? Upgrading your kitchen appliances might mean a big upfront cost, but it can save you money in the long run. Choose energy-efficient models with the Energy Star label for reduced energy costs.
5. Enjoy a More Comfortable Kitchen
Improved functionality and increased space in your kitchen will make your kitchen more comfortable. You can further improve the comfort of this room in other ways:
- Create better ventilation so your kitchen isn’t as hot while you cook and to reduce cooking odors
- Install a larger window (or additional windows) to make your kitchen brighter
- Upgrade lighting fixtures for improved brightness
- Change the layout to allow for additional seating
A remodel can turn your kitchen into a room everyone loves to spend time in.
6. Make Your Kitchen More Sustainable & Eco-Friendly
Kitchens built more than a few years ago typically were not designed with sustainability in mind. Today, many options exist to help you create an eco-friendly kitchen you can be proud of.
Use sustainable materials like salvaged wood and bamboo for your kitchen flooring, countertops and cabinets. Upgrade your appliances to safe and energy-efficient models and choose low-flow water faucets.
7. Update the Look of Your Kitchen
The most obvious advantage of a kitchen renovation is an updated look. A modern and up-to-date design makes your kitchen a room you can be proud of. Even if a complete kitchen remodel isn’t necessary, you can still produce a visual update simply by doing one or more of the following:
- Repaint the walls
- Install new cabinet doors (but keep the cabinet boxes the same)
- Upgrade the cabinet hardware (door handles and drawer pulls)
- Install new countertops
- Update the backsplash
- Lay new flooring
In most houses, the kitchen is the heart of the home. A pleasing aesthetic in your kitchen can have a positive impact on the rest of your house.
Enjoy the Benefits of a Kitchen Renovation
Get the kitchen of your dreams by renovating. (If you’re concerned about cost, see this post for ways to renovate your kitchen cost-effectively.)
The experts at Riverstone Kitchens & Renovations specialize in helping you transform your kitchen into a space that fits your lifestyle, needs, and vision. From designing to managing every stage of the project, we’ll turn your dream into a reality.
With over 30 dedicated years of cabinetry design and renovation experience, we’ve mastered the art of transforming mediocre spaces into magnificent places. Our expertise enables us to keep the process simple and smooth for our customers.
Do you want to enjoy the benefits of a kitchen renovation? Contact us today for a FREE consultation. We can help you determine whether or not a renovation is the best option for your kitchen and give you some ideas.